Pine River-Backus Family Center February happenings
• Family Center Governing Board: The Family Council is a group of people from the Pine River-Backus area who are concerned about the welfare of children and families. To learn more about the Family Center, call Leslie at 587-4292.
• Pine River Area Food Shelf is open Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the basement of the First Lutheran Church. The second Tuesday of the month (Feb. 11) the food shelf will be open from 3:30-7 p.m.
• Free Tax Help will be offered February through mid-April. Appointments are being scheduled for Monday evenings and Saturday mornings. Call the Family Center to schedule a tax appointment. Property tax appointments are not being scheduled yet.
• Hidden Jewels Thrift Store is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays. Hidden Jewels needs volunteers to spend a few hours a week helping in the store. Call Brenda, 587-4292.
• The Family Center’s Home Visiting Program has immediate openings for first-time expectant mothers who would like additional support with their pregnancy and parenting their child until age 3. Free prenatal gift bags are available to all expecting women who live in the PR-B School District.
Soups & Sweets: Planning is under way for the second annual Soups & Sweets event March 22 to raise money for the Pine River Area Food Shelf. To help with planning, call the Family Center at 587-4292.
• A Place at the Table tells the stories of three Americans who maintain their dignity even as they struggle just to eat and shows how the issue could be solved. View A Place at the Table at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 18 at The Warehouse.
• MAC/NAPS: Pick up 2-4 p.m. Feb. 11.
• WIC will be here Feb. 5 and 6. Call Cass County at 547-1340 for an appointment.
• Family Planning is Feb. 11. Call 877-275-6123 to schedule an appointment.
• The Family Center will be closed Feb. 17 in observation of Presidents Day.
The Family Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and is located at 245 Barclay Ave., Pine River. Call 218-587-4292 or visit www.prbfamilycenter.org.