Essentia Health offers free 'Healthy Hour' education classes
Essentia Health St. Joseph’s-Brainerd Clinic is offering free education classes from 1-2 p.m. the first Thursday of every month in meeting room A on the second floor of the Brainerd Clinic, 2024 S. Sixth St. in Brainerd.
A light snack of fresh fruit, coffee and water included.
• Feb. 6: Heart Health. Participants are asked to wear red to honor National Go Red for Women Heart Day, which is celebrated Feb. 7; step up and exercise with Ashley Palmer, athletic trainer; Anne Schmidt, cardiology nurse practitioner from Brainerd Lakes Heart and Vascular Center, will review heart failure and arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat); goal setting for the month.
• March 6: Colorectal cancer screening and stroke; exercise with Palmer; Melonee Ruhl, gastroenterology nurse practitioner, explains recommendations for colorectal cancer screenings; Dr. Byrns, internal medicine physician, reviews signs and symptoms of stroke; goal setting.
• April 3: Warming Up Outside: Protecting Ourselves from Tick-borne Illnesses; Exercise with Palmer; MaryLee Kreger, nurse practitioner, discusses tick-borne illnesses; goal setting.
• May 1: My Aching Joints; Exercise with Palmer; Dr. Vasey, rheumatologist, clarifies osteoarthritis versus rheumatoid arthritis (and the other achy-itis) and what treatment options are there; Christina Liane, Joint Wellness Camp Care coordinator, provides information on joint replacement; goal setting.
• June 5: Enjoying the Sounds of Summer; exercise with Palmer; Whitnea Engelbrecht, doctorate of audiology, will instruct on hearing loss; goal setting.