Tax help available for those over age 60
AARP volunteer tax aides are preparing income tax, rent credit and property tax refund forms for low- to middle-income people with special emphasis for those over age 60 in the Brainerd lakes area.
This is a free service for those eligible. Taxpayers need to bring the following information: 1099SSA (if you did not receive one, go to the Social Security office for a printout), Railroad Retirement Statements, W-2, 1099 R, 1099 INT, 1099 DIV, 1099B (if you sold stock, have the cost basis for the stock sold), property tax statement and your donations to charities.
If you have not filed for property tax refunds in the past, you can still file for a 2012 property tax refund if you bring your 2012 income tax records and your 2013 property tax statement.
To file for your 2013 property tax refund, you will need your 2013 income and your 2014 property tax statements (available in March).
Area AARP tax preparation sites include:
• The Center in Brainerd: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays or by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can be made by calling 218-829-9345.
• Brainerd Public Library: 12:30-5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays or by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can by made by calling The Center at 218-829-9345 and telling the receptionist the appointment is for the Brainerd Library site.
• Central Lakes College in Brainerd: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays and from 1-4 p.m. Thursdays by appointments only. To make an appointment, call 218-855-8052.
• Jessie F. Hallett Library in Crosby: Noon-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays by appointment only. Call 218-546-8005.
• Crosslake Community Center: 8 a.m.-noon Wednesdays and Thursdays by appointment only. Call 218-692-4271.
• Pequot Lakes Library: Noon-4 p.m. Thursdays by appointment only. Call 218-568-6181.
If you have an appointment, arrive 10 minutes early to complete the required intake form. Everyone must bring a picture identification, Social Security card and routing and account numbers for their checking or savings account if they want direct deposit.