Residents reminded of dangers of fireworks
With the Fourth of July quickly approaching, Crow Wing County reminds residents of the dangers of fireworks.
According to fireworksafety.com, fireworks result in nearly 10,000 injuries nationwide each year. If not handled properly, fireworks can cause serious injuries.
While the sale, possession and use of certain non-explosive and non-aerial consumer fireworks in permitted in Minnesota, it is not recommended, according to KidsHealth.org. They suggest families attend public fireworks displays and leave the lighting to professionals.
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, examples of legal fireworks include items such as sparklers, cones and tubes that emit sparks, and novelty items like snakes and party poppers.
Explosive and aerial fireworks are prohibited for public sale, possession and use. Prohibited fireworks include firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles, roman candles, mortars and shells. “We are encouraging the public to follow the recommendations of KidsHealth.org and the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. If you choose to use fireworks, please follow the safety practices below,” said Gwen Anderson, Health and Social Services Division manager. The National Council on Fireworks Safety offers these common sense safety tips for using consumer fireworks:
• Parents and caretakers should always closely supervise teens if they are using fireworks.
• Parents should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
• Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
• Always have water ready if you are shooting fireworks.
• Know your fireworks. Read the caution label before igniting.
• Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
• Wear safety glasses whenever using fireworks.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor garbage can.
• Avoid using homemade fireworks or illegal explosives. They can kill you.