Five Wings Arts Council announces grant awards
In the first half of 2013, the Five Wings Arts Council awarded $228,715 for arts projects to serve 53,565 people in Cass, Crow Wing, Morrison, Todd and Wadena counties.
Funding to support arts organizations and their activities, as well as schools and communities, comes from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota. Funding to support individual artists is provided through the McKnight Foundation.
The Five Wings Arts Council board of directors serves as the review panel for all eligible applications and is composed of representatives of each county in the Five Wings region.
Area awards included:
• School Art Project grants of $5,000: artists’ residency at Pine River-Backus High School.
• The Small Project grants program supports first-time and late-breaking arts opportunities. Recipients of grants in this category included $1,000 to the Longville Community Choir to produce Music in the Park.
• General Operating Grants of $2,500: Crossing Arts Alliance of Brainerd and Screen Porch Productions of Outing.
• Fifty-one Community Arts Access Project grants help offset costs for a variety of arts related activities in communities throughout the region. Cass County recipients included Northwoods Arts Council, Hackensack, $3,500 for the 2013 Hackensack Sculpture Garden; Screen Porch Productions, Outing, $4,750 for Arts Programs for Older Adults; and Screen Porch Productions, Outing, $5,000 to underwrite Take Two: Fall Musical Comedy.
Crow Wing County recipients included various awards for the Crossing Arts Alliance, Brainerd; various awards for the Lakes Area Music Festival, Brainerd; Legacy Chorale, Brainerd, $3,500 for A Celtic Celebration; Pequot Lakes Community Education, $4,100 to underwrite Pequot Lakes Community Theater’s production of “Church Basement Ladies-Second Helping;” and Pequot Lakes Community Education, $4,150 to sponsor Pequot Lakes Community Theater’s production of “Oliver.”
• Funds from the McKnight Foundation were distributed to area artists to further develop their careers, including: Theresa Jarvela, Brainerd and formerly of Pine River, $534 to attend the Loft Literary Center’s Mystery Writer’s Conference; Laura Paycer, Nisswa, $2,000, Artistic Segue-explore and create new works; Candace Simar, Pequot Lakes, $2,000, professional editor services for her short story collection; and Cyrus Swann, Pine River, $2,000 to convert an electric kiln into a salt/soda kiln.
• Twelve student artists received a mentorship award to support their advanced study with regional artists. Students are selected to participate in the Artist Mentor program based upon their past arts experience and training, their motivation to continue more in depth study of their arts discipline, and their level of proficiency in their art form.
Information about the grant opportunities of the Five Wings Arts Council can be found at www.fwac.org or by calling 877-654-2166.
Grant applications for School Arts, Small Projects and Individual Artist and Artist Grant applications and Student Artist/Mentor applications are accepted at any time.
The next deadline for applications for the Community Access and General Operating grant programs is Oct. 15.