Pequot Lakes Early Childhood Family Education lists fall classes
The fall registration for Pequot Lakes Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) classes will take place during the open house from 4-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, and 9-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, in the new Early Childhood Center on the east end of Eagle View Elementary School.
Classes for families with children from birth through age 5 will start the week of Sept. 15.
Parents are encouraged to check out the available options in the Fall 2014 Community Education book or online at www.isd186.org, select "Departments and Programs," then "Community Education" and "Early Childhood." Call Sarah at the ECFE office at 218-562-7520 to register.
ECFE is staffed by licensed teachers in early childhood and/or parent education. Parents and children will attend class together for about 45 minutes and then separate into their own class time for 45 minutes.
Parents have said the parent/child time is enjoyable because of the variety of activities offered — an art project, sensory table, circle time, stories, singing and learning stations. Parents are able to spend one-on-one time with their own child and are able to observe their child's interactions with others.
A smooth transition from the shared time takes place when the parent goes to the parent discussion as the child participates in snack time.
Parent discussions are based on preschool age situations and techniques from the "Love and Logic" approach to discipline.
The following classes are available:
• Infants Are Amazing is offered for four weeks, from11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 17-Oct. 8, and is for parents and babies ages birth through 12 months. Indicate if sibling care is needed.
• One's and Two's provides a morning out with a toddler. Attend from 9-10 a.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17.
• Two's and Three's includes art, music and circle time activities for parents and children. Part of the class time will be just for the parents to talk about their children's development. Class meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17.
• One's, Two's and Three's is new and is offered from10-11:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18.
• Three's, Four's and Five's - Kinder Prep is offered from 1-3 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17, for a preschool child who will be going into kindergarten in a year or two.
• Three's, Four's and Five's Science takes place from1-3 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18. This is a first-time science-focused class that pairs well with the Learning Is Fun ECFE Plus to give children two days of class time - one day with a parent and one day on their own.
• Family Class is for Infants to 5 year olds and meets from 6-7:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17.
• Home visits are available for families who want more individual interaction with the parent educator or are offered to parents who may not feel comfortable in a group class setting. Call 218-562-7520 for more information.