Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Crosslake Artisan's Fair is Aug. 10

Email News Alerts

The Crosslake Area Historical Society's 22nd annual Artisan's Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10, at the Historic Log Village across from the Army Corps of Engineers Dam and Campground in downtown Crosslake at 35404 County Road 3.

Advertisement
Advertisement

More than 35 artisans will be situated throughout the Historic Log Village displaying crafts reminiscent of 1900. Artisans will demonstrate their crafts as they sell their wares.

Blacksmith Jim Newgord from Pillager will return to demonstrate in the newly built blacksmith shop. Gordon Siemers will show off his homemade birdhouses. Local resident Mary Dischinger will render lard over a fire in her grandfather's kettle for soap making. Bunny Geiger from Timothy Township will demonstrate candle dipping. Allan Hochsprung, wood turner, will display handmade bowls and vases. Walter Grittner is a wood carver in his 90s who travels from St. Cloud to show his craft. Sheryl and Robert Gormley from Backus will demonstrate spinning and weaving.

Gail Smith and Patty Schroeder will share the art of rug hooking. Marilyn Trachenko will make the trip from Plymouth with her rug braiding. Bring dull knives to be professionally sharpened by Dan Coleman of Park Rapids.

New to this year's event is Ted Norlin from Crosby who will demonstrate the art of rope making. Dave Hudson from Bemidji will return to exhibit his talents on the potter's wheel. Candace Simar from Pequot Lakes will be on hand to talk about her books, the "Abercrombie Trail" series.

Kids activities will include corn-husking contests and a scavenger hunt. Donna Balzer will lead the children's games. Storyteller Paul Karl will entertain the youngsters and there will be a craft activity taught in the schoolhouse. There will be a guest appearance by "Bobber" the water safety dog from the Corps of Engineers.

All the buildings in the Historic Log Village will be staffed with volunteers in period costume. Step into Crosslake of 1900 and see the log building that was the first official school on the Whitefish Chain, the Ostlund home that was built by August Ostlund and his son, Charles, in the late 1800s, the first Watertown Township Town Hall and a replica of the first Crosslake store. Take a look in the Livery where you'll see the original Whitefish Chain Mail boat, a 1949 Chris-Craft, restored by Ronnie Schultz and Joe Ruttger, plus many other exhibits of Crosslake's past.

Parking will be available at the Frandsen Bank, on the street, at the campgrounds and in the museum parking lot.

To join the artisans and demonstrate a pioneer craft, call Mary Dischinger at 218-692-3188 or Nancy Rudberg at 218-692-2309.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness